2 2/3 cups all purpose or whole-wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons sugar or splenda
5 teaspoons baking powder
10 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into bits
1/2 cup strawberries, sliced and rolled in flour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon balm leaves (or 2 tablespoons dried)
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
Extra flour for kneading the dough
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Blend the flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a bowl.
3. Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
4. Add the strawberries and lemon balm and blend lightly.
5. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Add all but 1 tablespoon of this to the flour mixture. Stir.
6. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 4 to 6 turns. This is important to be exact for consistency in scones. Cut the dough in half and pat each half into an oval about 10 inches long and 4 inches wide. Cut each oval first lengthwise and then crosswise to make 8 triangle shaped
7. Place the scones on the baking sheet and brush the tops with the remaining egg and buttermilk mixture. Bake until golden on top, about 12 minutes.
Adapted from the book Gardener’s Community Cookbook